Twins Lose 2014 Draft Pick To Tommy John
The Minnesota Twins are just about to kick off their 2015 Major League Baseball Spring Training slate, but unfortunate news has already struck the team. After dealing with injuries to top prospects Miguel Sano and Byron Buxton a season ago, 2014 draft pick Onas Farfan is the latest to succumb to the injury bug.
More from Minnesota Twins News
- Minnesota Twins: Grading the Twins’ Joey Gallo signing
- Minnesota Twins: Grading the Christian Vazquez Signing
- Minnesota Twins: Twins jump into Top 5 in first MLB Draft Lottery
- Minnesota Twins: Byron Buxton wins 2022 Bob Feller Act of Valor Award
- Minnesota Twins: A Twins Homage to the Turkey of the Year Award
Selected in the 21st round and competing in the Gulf Coast League for the Twins in 2014, Onas Farfan underwent Tommy John surgery earlier this month. According to Mike Berardino of the St. Paul Pioneer Press, the local product will miss the entirety of the 2015 season.
While a 21st round pick doesn’t hold the same weight as a top prospect, the fact that the injury bug is rearing its head prior to the season even starting isn’t a good thing. At this point, Tommy John surgery isn’t the debilitating injury that it once was, but the timetable is still nothing to be excited about. Although the injury is still troublesome for pitchers to work their way back from, the bigger issue here is that a young prospect is losing a years worth of development time.
Farfan is probably a long shot to make it through the farm system and up to the big leagues, but having things slow the process is not something you want to add into the equation. He likely won’t begin a throwing program until this fall, and he will look to be ready to go when the 2016 season rolls around for the Twins.
Next: Spring Training: Twins To Keep An Eye On
More from Puckett's Pond
- Minnesota Twins: Does the MLB or the Twins have a Spending Problem?
- Minnesota Twins: 2 Possible Free Agent Reunions for 2023
- Minnesota Twins: Holiday Wish List for the rest of the Offseason
- Minnesota Twins: After signing with the Mets, Correa spurns Twins again
- Minnesota Twins: You Spin Me Right Round, Right Round