Maybe it just took me getting a little depressed last night. In an insomnia infused moment, I bellowed my frustrations with the Minnesota Twins via meme. I apologize for being that guy.
My gripe with the Twins is that the team had done nothing of substantial importance this offseason. Torii Hunter is nice and should be a nice bat in the lineup, but if you gave truth serum to Terry Ryan and other decision makers they would spill the beans of it being a PR move.
More from Minnesota Twins News
- Minnesota Twins: Grading the Twins’ Joey Gallo signing
- Minnesota Twins: Grading the Christian Vazquez Signing
- Minnesota Twins: Twins jump into Top 5 in first MLB Draft Lottery
- Minnesota Twins: Byron Buxton wins 2022 Bob Feller Act of Valor Award
- Minnesota Twins: A Twins Homage to the Turkey of the Year Award
I wanted pitching. Pitching I got.
The Minnesota Twins signed Ervin Santana to a four-year deal on Thursday. A four-year deal worth $54 million translated into $13.5 million a year.
I’m not going to pretend that this singular moves put the Twins in contention for anything, but I will say that it a step in the right direction. Money was spent and it vastly improved the area of the team that needed the most addressing.
If the Ricky Nolasco bounces back, and I know that is a big if, the Twins would now have three very competent major league talent starting pitchers with Phil Hughes leading the parade. That is an exciting thing to think about. This is something the Twins haven’t had for years.
Throw in the fact that Santana has American League experience, all AL experience other than last year’s one year stint with the Atlanta Braves, I am a big fan of this deal.
Santana is not an ace, but that’s okay. It’s an arm that we can trust.
The Twins nab Ervin Santana and Billy Joel is coming to Target Center in May. I’m going to sleep like a baby tonight.
More from Puckett's Pond
- Minnesota Twins: 2022 Year in Review for Twins Baseball
- Minnesota Twins: Making the Case for the Current 2023 Rotation
- Minnesota Twins: Does the MLB or the Twins have a Spending Problem?
- Minnesota Twins: 2 Possible Free Agent Reunions for 2023
- Minnesota Twins: Holiday Wish List for the rest of the Offseason