Byron Buxton, Others, Lead Twins Minors into Second Half
By Eric Blix
Alex Meyer Finds his Groove
Jul 13, 2014; Minneapolis, MN, USA; USA pitcher Alex Meyer throws a pitch during the All Star Futures Game at Target Field. Mandatory Credit: Jerry Lai-USA TODAY Sports
There was a period when it seemed that Alex Meyer might not be as MLB ready as everybody thought coming into the season. His last three starts in June weren’t pretty, as he failed to pitch more than 3.2 innings in any of them (albeit one game was the second leg of a double header, in which Meyer didn’t give up any runs, but did leave the game conspicuously early).
More from Minnesota Twins News
- Minnesota Twins: Grading the Twins’ Joey Gallo signing
- Minnesota Twins: Grading the Christian Vazquez Signing
- Minnesota Twins: Twins jump into Top 5 in first MLB Draft Lottery
- Minnesota Twins: Byron Buxton wins 2022 Bob Feller Act of Valor Award
- Minnesota Twins: A Twins Homage to the Turkey of the Year Award
Since then, he’s been red hot. In his last three outings, Meyer has pitched 18 innings while striking out 20, walking nine, and giving up a mere four earned runs. On the season, he has struck out 103 batters in 89.1 innings pitched (10.38 K/9), 43 BB (4.33 BB/9), a 3.43 ERA, a .230 BAA, and a FIP of 3.78. It seems likely that Meyer will be manning the bump at Target Field later this season.