Minnesota Twins Daily Morning Dip: Utility Minor League Signing
Minnesota Twins Daily Dip, January 30th, 2018
Welcome to the January 30th edition of the Daily Dip, your daily piece of news and notes here on Puckett’s Pond, offseason edition. You’ll find the most recent news of the Minnesota Twins organization, stories from around the game, and links to any information you may want to know about the Minnesota Twins or baseball as we work our way through the hot stove season!
Minnesota Twins Organizational Scores
Australian Baseball League Update
The playoffs begin on Friday, with Sydney eliminated, but Brisbane, pursuing their third straight ABL title, will host Melbourne.
Todd Van Steensel, Sydney – 6.2 IP, 12.15 ERA, 2.70 WHIP, 4/9 BB/K
Aaron Whitefield, Brisbane – .292/.364/.425, 106 AB, 2 HR, 10 SB, 13/29 BB/K
Dominican Winter League Update
Tigres del Licey defeated Aguilas Cibaenas 10-1 on Monday to tie the DWL championship series 2-2. None of the Twins representatives played in the game.
Tyler Kinley – Tigres del Licey – 19 IP, 0.47 ERA, 0.84 WHIP, 11/32 BB/K
Adalberto Mejia – Gigantes del Cibao – 21 IP, 3.43 ERA, 1.33 WHIP, 8/15 BB/K
Kennys Vargas, Aguilas Cibaenas – .222/.311/.407, 54 AB, 2 HR, 7/20 BB/K
T.J. White – Gigantes del Cibao – .000/.000/.000, 14 AB, 0/5
Minnesota Twins news and notes
Bollinger inbox: Who Twins will pursue if not Darvish
Minnesota Twins MLB.com beat reporter Rhett Bollinger answered questions from readers on the Twins’ backup plan if they don’t sign Yu Darvish, how Adalberto Mejia fits in the 2018 rotation, which young arms will figure most prominently in the 2018 Twins bullpen, and where two of the Twins’ top prospects will likely open their minor league seasons in his most recent mailbag.
More from Puckett's Pond
- Minnesota Twins: Holiday Wish List for the rest of the Offseason
- Minnesota Twins: After signing with the Mets, Correa spurns Twins again
- Minnesota Twins: You Spin Me Right Round, Right Round
- Minnesota Twins: What happens next at Shortstop?
- Minnesota Twins: Grading the Twins’ Joey Gallo signing
Notes from around baseball
- Astros could have best 1-9 lineup ever
- Angels could retire Vlad’s #27
- A’s/Royals complete deal to send Moss, Buchter to Oakland
- Indians will stop using Chief Wahoo logo on uniforms in 2019
- Sabathia enjoying Yankees role as favorites again
- Pirates Taillon takes stand against bullying
- Comparables for Acuna, Guerrero
- Turner loves Dodgers team heading into spring
- Baez has exciting gender reveal
- Gwynn highlighted in “Mr. Padre”
- Gallo intending to maximize launch angle
- Mets give fan special visit
- Blackmon has “fan boy” moment with Shaq
Next: Would Dozier extension be wise?
One Last Thing
Utilityman Jordan Pacheco turns 32 today. The Twins signed him this offseason to a minor league deal. Pacheco was originally drafted by the Colorado Rockies in the 2007 draft out of the University of New Mexico.
He finally reached the major leagues in 2011 and had a very productive 2012 with the Rockies, collecting 505 plate appearances, hitting .309/.341/.421 with 32 doubles, 3 triples, and 5 home runs.
Pacheco has played catcher, first base, and third base primarily at the major league level, though he also has appearances at second base and left field. He’s hit .272/.310/.365 with 10 home runs and 8 stolen bases over his 377 major league games. He’ll likely open the season with AAA Rochester.