Minnesota Twins Daily Dip, December 21st, 2017
Welcome to the December 21st edition of the Daily Dip, your daily piece of news and notes here on Puckett’s Pond, offseason edition. You’ll find the most recent news of the Minnesota Twins organization, stories from around the game, and links to any information you may want to know about the Minnesota Twins or baseball as we work our way through the hot stove season!
Minnesota Twins Organizational Scores
Australian Baseball League Update
No games were played on Wednesday. In a surprising decision, Aaron Whitefield was left off of the roster for the Australian team for Thursday’s All-Star game pitting native Australians against players from around the world.
Dominican Winter League Update
Kennys Vargas started at DH on Wednesday, going 1-4 with a double, RBI, and one strikeout.
Venezuelan Winter League Update
Gregorio Petit started at short for Leones del Caracas, going 2-4 with a run scored as his Caracas team fell to Caribes de Anzoategui 10-9. Willians Astudillo went 3-4 for the Caribes, with a double, 2 runs, and 2 RBI.
Minnesota Twins news and notes
Twins finish staff assignments
The Minnesota Twins announced their minor league coaching staffs on Wednesday, including some shuffling of staffs due to recent retirements and reassignments.
Hackimer on Fangraphs discusses pitching training
Twins relief prospect Tom Hackimer discussed the work he does with Driveline and his work toward a physics degree. Hackimer is a very intelligent thinker and has worked to model his delivery after reliever Joe Smith, who has enjoyed a long career with a sidearm delivery.
More from Puckett's Pond
- Minnesota Twins: Making the Case for the Current 2023 Rotation
- Minnesota Twins: Does the MLB or the Twins have a Spending Problem?
- Minnesota Twins: 2 Possible Free Agent Reunions for 2023
- Minnesota Twins: Holiday Wish List for the rest of the Offseason
- Minnesota Twins: After signing with the Mets, Correa spurns Twins again
Notes from around baseball
- Longoria sent to the Giants
- Indians sign Alonso for 2 years
- Santana excited to join Phillies
- Reviewing franchise players dealt
- Britton ruptures Achilles, out until midseason
- Negro Leagues pioneer Johnson passes away
- Longoria wore a Giants uniform as a youth
- Trade blitz could lead to free agent frenzy
- White Sox prospects excited after home run
- Big Papi to get TV show
- Kiermaier reflects on his wedding
- Puig visits Vatican
- Andrus shared video game love with children’s hospital
One Last Thing
Today is the first day of winter officially. It’s good to think through where we are from our next chance to enjoy baseball:
- 55 days until pitchers and catchers report
- 64 days until the first spring training exhibition against the University of Minnesota
- 98 days until opening day in Baltimore
- 105 days until the home opener against Seattle
That should keep you warm through the cold Minnesota winter!!