Minnesota Twins Daily Dip, December 18th, 2017
Welcome to the December 18th edition of the Daily Dip, your daily piece of news and notes here on Puckett’s Pond, offseason edition. You’ll find the most recent news of the Minnesota Twins organization, stories from around the game, and links to any information you may want to know about the Minnesota Twins or baseball as we work our way through the hot stove season!
Minnesota Twins Organizational Scores
Australian Baseball League Update
Aaron Whitefield led off in both games of Brisbane’s doubleheader Saturday. In game 1, he went 1-4 with a double, run scored, RBI, and a strikeout as the Bandits defeated Adelaide 7-3. Adelaide took the nightcap 6-1 as Whitefield went 1-4 with a strikeout, stealing his 7th base of the ABL season.
Dominican Winter League Update
Kennys Vargas on Saturday played first base, going 0-2 with 2 walks, striking out once. Sunday, he played DH, going 3-5, hitting a solo home run and scoring 3 runs while striking out twice.
Venezuelan Winter League Update
Gregorio Petit started at shortstop for Leones del Caracas on Saturday, going 1-4 with a double, scoring a run and striking out once. On Sunday, Petit went 2-3 with a strikeout while playing shortstop.
On Saturday, Willians Astudillo played left field for Caribes de Anzoategui, going 0-4. Astudillo went 1-4 on Sunday, playing left field and driving in a run.
Minnesota Twins news and notes
Falvey discusses payroll
Minnesota Twins executive vice president and chief baseball officer Derek Falvey discussed the Twins payroll, expecting that the team will be able to add to the current payroll.
More from Puckett's Pond
- Minnesota Twins: 4 Possible Trade Chips not named Kepler or Arraez
- Minnesota Twins: After missing out on Correa, what comes next?
- Minnesota Twins: Free Agency should be Ace or Bust for the Rotation
- Minnesota Twins: Grading the Christian Vazquez Signing
- Minnesota Twins: Could A.J. Pollock be a good fit in Minnesota?
Notes from around baseball
- 5 teams that have made stealthy improvements
- Hosmer could hit more HRs in his new home
- Will winter moves help Angels?
- Giants pursuing Franco
- Will Judge or Stanton work better in left?
- Rendon willing to extend with Nationals
- Puig heads to Madrid with mom
- Padres sign Lyles for 1 year
- Hamels donates mansion to charity
- Dodgers trade Gonzalez, others to Braves for Kemp
- Thor offering nickname ideas for Swarzak
- Sabathia returning to New York
- Costas discusses Frick Award
- Cozart to bring glove, bat, and donkey to Angels
One Last Thing
Today is Byron Buxton‘s 24th birthday. Minnesota Twins fans finally got to see a glimpse of the immense talent that Buxton has in the second half of 2017.
From August 1st to the end of the season, Buxton hit .298/.342/.541 with 11 home runs and 13 stolen bases. Of course, he provided value throughout the season with his exceptional defense.
Happy birthday, Buck, and here’s to an incredible 2018!