Puckett’s brings you the freshest catch of Minnesota Twins news from the Pond.
More from Puckett's Pond
- Minnesota Twins: Does the MLB or the Twins have a Spending Problem?
- Minnesota Twins: 2 Possible Free Agent Reunions for 2023
- Minnesota Twins: Holiday Wish List for the rest of the Offseason
- Minnesota Twins: After signing with the Mets, Correa spurns Twins again
- Minnesota Twins: You Spin Me Right Round, Right Round
– Ervin Santana has tried out the new safety helmets for pitchers and according to the Pioneer Press, he’s not a fan: ‘“Two things, the visor is pointing down too much. When you do the windup and finish the pitch, you can barely see home plate. And the other (problem) is the top part.”
Unlike the protective lining worn by reliever Alex Torres in recent seasons, this model does nothing to protect the top of a pitcher’s head.’
– Yesterday, we posted the following: “Jeremy Nygaard notes that with the O’s signing of Dexter Fowler, the Twins’ 56th pick in this year’s draft will now become the 55th overall selection. Barring any other applicable signings around the league, the Twins will also select 15th, 73rd, 74th and 93rd.” In a very odd series of events, Fowler in fact signed with the Cubs after spurning the Orioles offer at the last minute. Fowler had demanded an opt out from the O’s but they didn’t give in. It was widely reported that the deal was done. Anyways, this means the Twins’ 56th overall selection. will remain at 56th, for the time being.
– MLB has altered sliding rules on double plays. In what should become known as the “Chase Utley Rule” runners must now make a “bone fide attempt to reach and remain on the bag.” The should help protect middle infielders trying to turn double plays from getting clobbered by aggressive slides.
MLB made some minor alterations to their “Pace of Game” regulations.
The “neighborhood” play will also be added the MLB’s list of reviewable plays for this upcoming year.
– Not much to report from Fort Myers. Work outs, bullpens, PFP.
Almost all the position players were in Fort Myers as well but were only working out informally.
Check back here regularly for your dose of Minnesota Twins news.