Puckett’s brings you the freshest catch of Minnesota Twins news from the Pond.
More from Puckett's Pond
- Minnesota Twins: Making the Case for the Current 2023 Rotation
- Minnesota Twins: Does the MLB or the Twins have a Spending Problem?
- Minnesota Twins: 2 Possible Free Agent Reunions for 2023
- Minnesota Twins: Holiday Wish List for the rest of the Offseason
- Minnesota Twins: After signing with the Mets, Correa spurns Twins again
We’re so excited to finally have Twins news abounding, due to spring training opening, that we’ve decided that we need to do two news articles today—a thought imaginable just a week ago
– A source has told Mike Berardino that the Twins have not explored a contract extension for Paul Molitor as yet. “The Twins responded well to Molitor’s guidance in his first season, going 83-79 and staging a 13-win improvement that ranked as the seventh-best in Twins franchise history.”
With Molitor’s ties to the organization and management’s enthusiasm about him, it doesn’t seem hard to imagine that an extension would be reached to carry Molitor’s tenure beyond 2017.
– Though there are many relief options still available on the free agent market, LaVelle Neal III reports that the Twins will stick with the status quo for now and see how competitions develop.
– There are a surprising amount of free agents still available in general, not just relievers. A number of remaining free agents are quite talented as well—not just the usual reclamation projects. Ian Desmond, David Freese, Austin Jackson, Justin Morneau, Franklin Morales and Matt Thornton are some of the better names still available. Head over to MLBTR’s free agent tracker to have a look at who’s still available.
There could be a great deal to be had, from the Twins’ perspective, in what has become such a strong buyer’s market. We’ve been proponents of signing Franklin Morales this offseason. His cost would likely be at an all-time low and would likely be open to a minor league deal.
– Twinkie Town wrote a preview and guide to the Twins’ 2016 Spring Training
– Outside Pitch writes that the Twins’ could surprise in 2016
– Fox Sports poses 5 questions for the Twins this spring
– MLB Daily Dish notes that the Twins are relying very heavily on their young players to carry them this season
Check back here regularly for your dose of Minnesota Twins news.