On the Pond is a weekly article in which I answer questions I receive via social media.
I don’t think Eduardo Escobar’s play at shortstop these final two months of the season will have any bearing on what the Twins do at shortstop in 2016. Unless Escobar catches fire and plays out of his mind, he may not even be back with the team in 2016, seeing how he is playing on a one year deal.
I fully expect Danny Santana and Jorge Polanco to compete for the starting shortstop position in spring training next year.
I think we will see Jose Berrios in September when the roster expands. It will likely be out of the bullpen, but it will still be fun to watch the future ace make his big league debut.
As for 2016, I think he will be in the Twins rotation to start the season. Ervin Santana, Kyle Gibson, Phil Hughes, Jose Berrios and Trevor May. That has a nice ring to it.
If Torii Hunter wants to play another year, the Twins will have him back no doubt. But, it may not be as an everyday player. The Twins are already about to enter a logjam in the outfield when Byron Buxton is ready to return. Next year the starting outfield could be , Aaron Hicks, Buxton and Eddie Rosario, with Hunter serving as the fourth outfielder.
More from Puckett's Pond
- Minnesota Twins: 2022 Year in Review for Twins Baseball
- Minnesota Twins: Making the Case for the Current 2023 Rotation
- Minnesota Twins: Does the MLB or the Twins have a Spending Problem?
- Minnesota Twins: 2 Possible Free Agent Reunions for 2023
- Minnesota Twins: Holiday Wish List for the rest of the Offseason