The Minnesota Twins have stumbled out of the gates in the second half of the season. They’ve gone 3-6 and have been outscored 44-12 in their six losses. They are currently eight games back of the Kansas City Royals for first place in the American League Central. They currently hold a three game lead over the Baltimore Orioles and the Toronto Blue Jays for the second Wild Cart spot.
Tonight the Twins will welcome the Pittsburgh Pirates to Target Field for a two-game series. The Twins swept the Pirates in a two-game series at PNC Park earlier this season and hope to replicate their success at Target Field. The Pirates currently own the third best record in baseball and have been one of baseball’s hottest teams.
Three Players to Watch
- Mike Pelfrey has not been good recently. In his last seven starts he’s 0-5 with a 6.87 earned run average. At Target Field Pelfrey is 3-2 with a 2.22 earned run average. He’s recorded five straight quality starts at home and the Twins are hoping he makes it six in a row tonight.
- Joe Mauer is hitting .304 in the last seven games. In the two-game series against the Pirates earlier in the season Mauer drove in four runs, including the go-ahead home run in extra innings in the second game of the series.
- Ervin Santana will make his fifth start for the Twins in the series finale Wednesday afternoon. Santana is 2-0 with a 2.60 earned run average and hasn’t given up a run in his last two starts.
More from Puckett's Pond
- Minnesota Twins: 2022 Year in Review for Twins Baseball
- Minnesota Twins: Making the Case for the Current 2023 Rotation
- Minnesota Twins: Does the MLB or the Twins have a Spending Problem?
- Minnesota Twins: 2 Possible Free Agent Reunions for 2023
- Minnesota Twins: Holiday Wish List for the rest of the Offseason