Minnesota Twins and Cleveland Indians Series Preview
Game 3: Thursday afternoon
Cleveland Indians starter: Mike Clevinger, RHP
Career vs. Minnesota (4 starts): 0-1, 3.78 ERA, 1.56 WHIP, 12/17 BB/K, 16 2/3 IP
Clevinger had been throwing very well before a rough patch at the end of July. The Indians skipped Clevinger for a couple of turns in the rotation, but he rejoined the rotation on August 12th and threw 7 scoreless innings with 9 strikeouts against the Rays. On the season, Clevinger has struck out 90 in 81 1/3 innings with a 3.65 ERA on the season.
Minnesota’s hitters against Clevinger:
- Brian Dozier, 10 PA, .333/.400/.667, HR, 1/3 BB/K
- Max Kepler, 9 PA, .125/.222/.125, 1/2 BB/K
- Joe Mauer, 9 PA, .500/.556/.625, 2B, 1/1 BB/K
- Miguel Sano, 9 PA, .333/.556/1.000, 2B, HR, 3/2 BB/K
- Byron Buxton, 6 PA, .000/.333/.000, 2/1 BB/K
- Jorge Polanco, 5 PA, .250/.400/.250, 1/1 BB/K
- Eduardo Escobar, 4 PA, .250/.250/.500, 2B, 0/2 BB/K
- Eddie Rosario, 4 PA, .250/.250/.250, 0/2 BB/K
- Robbie Grossman, 4 PA, .000/.250/.000, 1/1 BB/K
- Jason Castro, 3 PA, .000/.000/.000, 0/1 BB/K
The Minnesota Twins will have a good shot in the finale to come up against a pitcher without a lot of experience in the major leagues and that a number of the hitters on the team have a good track record against. The Twins could go with a “get away day” lineup, however, so watch for a lineup with guys like Ehire Adrianza starting.
Minnesota Twins starter: Jose Berrios, RHP
Last 5 starts against Cleveland: 2-2, 5.31 ERA, 1.13 WHIP, 7/15 BB/K, 20 1/3 IP
Berrios has had a tremendous 2017, winning 10 games for the Twins in his first full season, but he’s come on a tough patch recently. In his last 4 starts, he’s had a 7.45 ERA, 1.40 WHIP, and a 6/13 BB/K over 19 1/3 innings. Berrios has struggled on the road this year, but he’s been much better at home, and he’s at home in this game, which should certainly help as he works to get back on track.
Cleveland’s hitters against Berrios:
- Carlos Santana, 11 PA, .444/.545/1.000, 3B, HR, 2/2 BB/K
- Francisco Lindor, 10 PA, .333/.400/.444, 2B, 1/0 BB/K
- Jose Ramirez, 10 PA, .300/.300/.300
- Jason Kipnis, 9 PA, .111/.111/.222, 2B, 0/3 BB/K
- Abraham Almonte, 5 PA, .200/.200/.200, 0/2 BB/K
- Yan Gomes, 5 PA, .000/.000/.000, 0/1 BB/K
- Edwin Encarnacion, 3 PA, .000/.000/.000
- Roberto Perez, 3 PA, .000/.000/.000
- Jay Bruce 2 PA, .000/.500/.000, 1/1 BB/K
Berrios will have the benefit of most of the Indians lineup having nearly no experience against him, especially any experience against him when he throws well. He struggled against the Indians without his best stuff at the end of 2016, but he’s throwing with better stuff even when he’s been struggling recently.
Next: Bullpen Matchups