Minnesota Twins Afternoon Update: Pre-arbitration Salaries
Puckett’s brings you the freshest catch of Minnesota Twins news from the Pond.
More from Puckett's Pond
- Minnesota Twins: After signing with the Mets, Correa spurns Twins again
- Minnesota Twins: You Spin Me Right Round, Right Round
- Minnesota Twins: What happens next at Shortstop?
- Minnesota Twins: Grading the Twins’ Joey Gallo signing
- Minnesota Twins: 4 Possible Trade Chips not named Kepler or Arraez
– Nastiness from Jose Berrios:
Or is Duffey’s nastier?
– Mike Berardino reported the pre-arbitration salaries of several players for 2016. Kyle Gibson was rewarded with an unusually large raise after his very solid 2015 season. He’ll make $50,000 more for a total $587,500. Gibson is in his last pre-arb year. Normally teams hand out very minimal raises over the league minimum for pre-arb players. The league minimum is $507,500. Pre-arb players have essentially no control or say over how much they receive. They can agree to a deal with the team or the team will unilaterally renew the player’s contract at whatever amount seems good to them. The third option is to sit out. Occasionally a team will offer a pre-arb superstar much more than is required, perhaps in order to cultivate good will for future negotiations
Per Berardino, Tyler Duffey will make $525,000; Danny Santana, $537,500 and Byron Buxton, $512,500. Numbers for the other pre-arb players on the Twins are not known at this time but figure to be in the same vicinity.
– Twins’ minor league spring training camp has gotten underway. Pitchers and catchers were to report today. Many position players have arrived as well but aren’t required to until March 8th.
– MLB has added the “neighbourhood play” to the video reviewable list. Brian Dozier is not in favor of the change: “Dozier said the neighborhood play — which allows fielders to straddle second base or glide past it while turning double plays — helps keep middle infielders from being injured from takeout slides. But he said now making sure to touch the base to get the out will be a main priority and changes the fundamentals of the double play”
Next: Opening Day Roster Prediction
Check back here regularly for your dose of Minnesota Twins news.