So, the MLB draft wrapped itself up on June 6th and given the new draft pick rules, many of the Twins picks are already signed, including most of their top picks. Since I just finished my top off-season prospect countdown at OntheroadwithShawn, I figured it was a good time to re-rank the top 20.
15. Luke Bard Starter/Reliever Preseason Rank N/A Age 21. 1st round supplemental pick. May still be injured and still unsigned.
13. Mason Melotakis Left Handed Starter/Reliever Preseason Rank N/A Age 21. 2nd round pick. Will start his professional career next week. Wants to be a starter as a pro. Can reach 97 with fastball.
10. Adrian Salcedo Starting Pitcher Preseason Rank 6 Age 21. 0-1 5.64 ERA for Fort Myers with 13 strikeouts and 15 walks in 22.1 innings. Having a hard time with his control and allowing too many base-runners. Still young for High-A.
8. Aaron Hicks Center Field Preseason Rank 7 Age 22. Hitting .244/.342/.389 with 15 steals in 20 attempts for New Britain. Similar numbers to 2011 in Fort Myers. Five tool talent with a ways to go. Still pretty young for AA.
7. J.O. Berrios Starting Pitcher Preseason Rank N/A Age 18. Supplemental 1st round pick. Will start pro career next week. Cool reaction to being drafted. Hard throwing righty that would have been ranked higher if he wasn’t so small (Pedro Martinez?).
6. Joe Benson Outfield Preseason Rank 3 Age 24. Hitting .173/.264/.299 with 6 steals for New Britain and Rochester when he went down with an injury in late May. He will be out a few weeks. It’s been a tough 2012, but he is still young and has all of the tools.
4. Liam Hendriks Starting Pitcher Preseason Rank 4 Age 23. 5-0 1.94 ERA for Rochester with 42 strikeouts and 13 walks in 46.1 innings & 0-2 9.00 ERA for the Twins. Hendriks will try his luck with the Twins today, having little success in his first two stints with the big club.
2. Byron Buxton Center Field Preseason Rank N/A Age 18. Considered the best prospect by most analysts in the 2012 draft. The Twins drafted him #2 overall and gave him a Twins record $6 million bonus. A five tool talent, Buxton will start his pro career next week for the GCL Twins.
1. Miguel Sano Third Base Preseason Rank 1 Age 19. hitting .239/.353/.504 for Beloit. He started the season on fire and I advocated a promotion. It was not to be and he has cooled off a little. His raw power is awesome and even at A ball, he is an almost sure thing to be a hitter in the MLB someday. Who knows where he will play in the field by then.
With Brian Dozier and Chris Parmelee off the list due to graduating (or almost) graduating from prospect status, the top 20 is made of mostly lower minors guys or injured upper level guys. There is talent here, but a positive impact on the major league club will be awhile in the making.