Another week has gone by in what is already a rumor-filled offseason for the Twins, but not much action taking place just yet.
- Twins 2B prospect Eddie Rosario may be serving a 50-game suspension for a failed drug test. According to some reports out of Puerto Rico, Rosario is appealing the suspension and claims he’s taken this substance before. It doesn’t seem it is a PED, at the moment anyway. We’ll have updates as this one plays out.
- Duke Welker, who the Twins acquired from the Pirates in the Morneau trade, was sent back to Pittsburgh in exchange for LHP Kris Johnson. As good friend Paul Pleiss points out, he’s similar to Pedro Hernandez, and perhaps a bit better. I suppose I can only see him providing some rotation help if a) Minnesota can’t sign anyone or b) injuries happen. We’ll see.
- Four players were added to the 40-man roster: OF Max Kepler, IF Jorge Polanco, IF Kenny Vargas and LHP Logan Darnell. Any prospect on the 40-man is protected from the Rule 5 Draft. Kepler, German born and signed at age 16, is the biggest name on the list. He is considered one of the Twins top prospects.
- Hot Stove Update: No major signings yet for the Twins. Nothing new to report on pitchers such as Ricky Nolasco, Bronson Arroyo, Matt Garza, Phil Hughes or Johan Santana (I’m a big advocate for Santana). There was a rumor they thought about Grady Sizemore, but since moved on. The latest pitchers of rumored interest are Chris Capuano and Gavin Floyd. Floyd who is coming back from Tommy John surgery, should be ready by Spring Training. As far as position players, there is increased interest in catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia. While I still prefer a one year reunion pact with A.J. Pierzynski, adding Saltalamacchia wouldn’t be a terrible move pending dollars and years. I’m not a Salty fan- his amount of strikeouts throughout the playoffs this year are still pretty fresh in my mind.
- Former Twins elsewhere: Clete Thomas signed a minor league deal with the Phillies. PJ Walters has signed a deal with the Royals. LaTroy Hawkins agreed with the Rockies. Brendan Harris has a minor league pact with the Dodgers. Garrett Jones was designated for assignment by the Pirates. Tyler Robertson was re-assigned to AAA Syracuse by Washington.
I would expect the Twins to make a bigger signing or trade during the Winter Meetings, which are coming up. Here’s hoping rumors turn into actions.
Tags: Minnesota Twins